Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sunny or Grey?

I'm in Macedonia for 10 days to gather info for an upcoming private sector development project that will include agriculture. Macedonia is very different from the places where I usually work. It's practically in Europe - well at least it is hoping to become part of the EU in 2012. But it was also a part of the Soviet Union (as part of Yugoslavia) so it still has not fully shaken the old command economy mentality.

One of my colleagues asked me if Macedonia is more like sunny Italy, which is just across the Adriatic, or more like the grey Soviet Union. After just one day in country, I would answer that it is probably somewhere in between. The expansive central square and the central post office building, which is a dull grey monstrosity of cement that dominates its surrounds, are very CIS. On the other hand all along the river are lively outdoor cafés filled with fashionable young people that are (vaguely) reminiscent of Paris.

It looks like I will be spending the weekend out in the field visiting farms, processing companies, orchards and sheep herders. Oh, and as wine is one of the high-potential sectors here, I will be visiting grape growers and yes, wineries. I am always amazed by (and thankful for) the opportunities that I have to see different aspects of the countries I visit.

My suitcase arrived today and I was so happy to get out of the clothes that I had been wearing for more than 48 hours. I finished off the day with dinner with my colleagues at an Irish pub with a very bad meal and a glass of surprisingly good Macedonian red wine.

No comments: