Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Macademia?

The next chapter in my adventure had me leaving my little house in DC in the middle of a downpour yesterday morning to head to Macedonia. The bad weather was my only immediate incentive to get on the plane for what will hopefully be sunnier climes given my current state. I am completely sleep deprived thanks to the city of DC that I actually fell asleep in the taxi on the way to the airport – as in mouth open, good dreams, asleep. Two weeks ago the city dug a huge hole in the street in front of my house and covered it with 6 steel plates which literally bounce every time a car drives over send out a small earthquake of earth-shattering noise and vibrations when a truck or bus drives over them. So it’s been a sleepless couple of weeks.

So I thought the trip could only get better from there. Hah! The check-in line at the airport was a mile long. When I got to the front, they informed me that the flight was delayed by an hour. Well, we ended up boarding 1.5 hours late, at which point I knew I would miss my connection in Switzerland. The very helpful airline people managed to get me on another flight, but I had to sprint a lap of the terminal to pick up the new ticket before they finished boarding the plane. I was the last passenger on the plane, and we then sat on the runway for another hour due to a maintenance problem. Needless to say, by the time I finally arrived in Macedonia 3.5 hours late, my luggage was not there to meet me. So I am stuck wearing the same coffee stained pants tomorrow – a flight attendant spilled hot coffee in my lap.

I’m now off to try and get some sleep and I am absolutely convinced that things can only get better from here!

No comments: