Friday, August 08, 2008

False Start

On Sunday morning I packed my bags and jumped into a cab to head to the airport. I am going to Vietnam – or so I thought. Because I had to buy my ticket at the last minute, I ended up flying on my least favorite airline and having to check in at my least favorite airport. In fact, the only reason I don’t like United is because of their chaotic check-in system at Dulles. So I waited somewhat impatiently in the check-in line for 45 minutes while three people checked in the fifty or so people ahead of me. By the time I got to the front of the line, I was just ready to get on the plane – anywhere but in that line.

But I didn’t – get on the plane that is. “Where is your visa”, says the woman behind the counter. “I don’t need a visa”, I replied. She then informed in her power-asserting tone that I either needed a visa or a letter from the embassy saying there would be a visa for me upon arrival in Vietnam. I would say that sounds ridiculous, but the truth is that it is completely believable in the bureaucratic games of developing country governments. I asked to speak to the manager. Same answer. I even called my host in Vietnam and woke him up at 11pm. He still insisted that I do not need a visa. But the airline refused to allow me on the flight.

So I got in a cab and went home.

No comments: