Saturday, June 23, 2007

Cats and Dogs

Yesterday I discovered how it is that Liberia is the rainiest captial in the world. It started raining before sunrise and did not stop until the eveing. But 'raining' is not really the right word. It looked like somone turned on a tap and a waterfall was flowing from the sky. You could see streams of rain coming down. Then the there was a sudden crack of thunder at the same time the sky was lit up in broad daylight by a jolt of lighting. We think it might have been a direct hit as several computers in the office are now fried - as in smelling like smoke. The next strike found me working on an unplugged laptop still connected to the broadband and I still got a shock. Needless to say, it was not a very productive morning.

With over 4,000 mm of rain a year (mostly falling between April and September) I realized that it is highly likely that I will have to work in the rain next week when I am in the field upcountry. I went out and bought myself a pair of gumboots.

No comments: