Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Truth

I wrote all of these blogs while I was in Vietnam a few weeks ago but I held off on posting them partially because I was trying to keep a secret (and partially because I procrastinated). I was actually in Vietnam for a job interview and I have since been offered the job, accepted and now find myself on a plane moving to Vietnam!

The job is based in Hanoi working for a start-up development firm and my job is managing a bamboo subsector development project. Essentially the project’s goal is to reduce poverty by supporting the bamboo business in Vietnam from farmers all the way through to the end product manufacturers. For those of you that don’t know, bamboo is showing up all over the place as flooring, wall panels, decorative bamboo shoots, handicrafts including vases and bowls, and even fabric. I’m sure I’ll be writing more about my work over the coming months as I figure out exactly what I am doing.

I’m writing this on the plane as I head out for a month to do the annual planning for the project. I agreed to get out there quickly for this, but I will be back in DC from mid-September through mid-October to properly pack up my house, fix everything that needs fixing, find a renter, and of course have lots of au revoirs!

Notice it’s not goodbye – it looks like I will have at least a spare room or two in Vietnam so Chez Bronwyn will soon be open for guests and I hope there will be many!

No comments: