Saturday, May 31, 2008

Satchidaranda Ashram

My four days at the Satchidaranda Ashram, otherwise known as Yogaville, were probably worth about a month of downtime at home. I feel like a different relaxed slower version of my former self.

The Ashram is in a spectacular natural setting bordering the James River in rural Virginia. The 1,000 acres is most hilly forests with views of the mountains and the river. Right now the meadows are covered in wildflowers and there is rich birdlife. My days there started before 5 am with meditation and Hatha yoga before breakfast. The rest of the day was a mix of meditation and yoga with plenty of time by myself for reading, hiking in the woods, thinking and of course napping (a daily activity while I was there).

There is an ancient Native American medicine wheel on the grounds of the Ashram. A medicine wheel is a physical representation of a spiritual presence; a circle of stones representing Native American spiritual beliefs. (A description can be found at http://www.wolfcreekarts.com/Medicine_Wheel.htm) Twice I tried to find the medicine wheel, which is tucked away in the woods. Twice I failed. There are those that would say that I was not meant to find it, I chose to believe that I was not meant to find it this week so that I have a reason to come back again.

No comments: