Tuesday, January 23, 2007

South Park Anyone?

My company has several projects in the Balkans and so there are plenty of other consultants from the home office around to keep my company. Maybe too many, and not just because of the questions I have about international consultants soaking up aid funds, but also because my boss is in the adjoining room to mine and there are 4 other home office staff on my floor! It’s like an office slumber party. Fortunately, some of my colleagues are fun to hang out with.

Tonight, the boss took a bunch of us out to a very nice dinner at a hotel that is being supported by one of our projects (which is working in tourism). The dinner was excellent local faire, the company was a mixture of Croatian and expat staff on the projects as well as us visitors, and it was great to spend an evening just laughing and enjoying good food, good wine (local) and good company.

I just got back to my hotel room, did some laundry in the sink (I refuse to pay $6 to have a t-shirt washed) and flipped on the TV to see what was on. I saw South Park and sat down to watch Starvin Marvin from Ethanopia. The characters were not speaking English, and it took me a full five minutes to realize that this was not part of the plot but that I had discovered South Park in German. Not as funny as the English Version

No comments: