Thursday, December 08, 2005

Surprise! I’m in Afghanistan

I am writing this on the plane flying into Afghanistan. You have to know it is going to be an interesting trip when you have to take three flights half way around the world and the last flight is on United Nations Humanitarian Air. I overnighted in Dubai last night – although I don’t think I should say “overnight” as I was only in the hotel for 6 hours. The scenery out the window on the flight from Dubai to Kabul has been amazing. After leaving Dubai and crossing the Persian Gulf all I could see was just flat desert marred by the occasional etching of fields (irrigated?). Then came the spectacular mountains that seemed to rise out of nowhere to the height at which we are flying. I am now looking out on an intricate lacework of snowcapped peaks and bare brown valleys.

As usual I was asked to come here only 6 days ago, but this time it was not an automatic yes from me. I was a little apprehensive about traveling to Kabul. It is a dangerous place, and I have previously refused to travel to Afghanistan. But for a multitude of reasons this was a good opportunity. I am not denying that there are risks, but I also know that my company mitigates those risks as much as possible and many trips to Afghanistan have been cancelled because the environment was too tense, even though in the end nothing happened. Plus I am only on the ground for one week so that also reduces my chances of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I have also been a little apprehensive about telling people where I was going. I received a very mixed reaction from the few people I did tell. Some were excited for me. Others told me straight out I was crazy. Then there was Amit who asked if he could take out a life insurance policy on me!

I am here gathering information for a new project that we will bid on in agriculture, infrastructure and irrigation. We are currently implementing several projects in Afghanistan at the moment including an alternative livelihoods project that tries to encourage farmers to stop growing poppies for opium production by introducing other profitable crops. I am sad that I did not have time to learn more about Afghanistan before I came, but I am sure that this will be a fascinating trip. The flight attendant just announced that we are landing so I need to turn off my laptop and let the real adventure begin!

An aside: For those of you who may want a more personal connection, I am becoming a techy (thanks to my Dad). I have a Skype (VOIP) phone and a Skype in number. This means that you can call me on this DC number – (202) 470 0129 – and pay local charges but reach me in Afghanistan if I am online. If I’m not online, you will go into my voicemail and I’ll get the message when I log on. Don’t you love the modern age!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bronwyn, good luck with your work this week. I hope you take lots of pictures!