Friday, October 28, 2005

Extended stay

I left work at 3pm yesterday and went home to sleep. I was starting to go a little nuts from the lack of sleep. So when I got into the office this morning, I received an email asking me to extend my stay by a week. It was not at all what I wanted to do, but at the same time I have been frantic trying to get everything done that I needed to do and now I don't have to be so frantic. I did compromise and I am now flying out on Thursday - don't worry all you DC readers, the post Halloween costume party is still on.

So instead of spending my day running around conducting interviews, meeting potential partners and collecting CV's, I spent the day running around changing my ticket, changing more money and making plans for the weekend. I’m off to Langano – one of the good birdwatching sites in Ethiopia where I went last time I was here. I’ll report in on Monday.

This evening while I was on my way to the Hilton for a massage my taxi was pulled over for going straight in a turn only lane. Not that the lane was demarcated (neither the lane itself nor the fact that it was a right turn only). This is a city with chaotic traffic and where earlier today I saw three traffic police standing yakking on the side of the road while cars literally pushed their way through hoards of school children who had just been released from school. Amazingly, the taxi driver said he did not get a ticket. I did not have a clear view peeking in the rearview mirror, but I would be surprise if money did not change hands!

I had an average massage, but for ten bucks you really can't complain. Then I moved over to the Jacuzzi - new since my last stay at the Hilton. I was reveling in the relaxation after a crazy week. Then an Ethiopian woman came and joined me. At first she sat on the top step and seemed a little apprehensive. I assumed she was uncomfortable with a fanaji around. But after a short while she climbed down into the tub and immediately started giggling. She just couldn't stop. It turned out that this was her first time in a Jacuzzi. Needless to say, she loved it and so did I. Her giggles made me enjoy it that little bit more.

No comments: